(Satellite, the site is now occupied by a townhouse development north of Belmont and between Washtenaw and the river. According to a 1938 aerial photo, some of the land north and to the west was also part of the shipyard.)
The bridges along the North Branch used to be movable up to, and including, Belmont Avenue. Grebe Shipyard took advantage of this navigation channel because they built some fairly large boats. It used to specialize in building custom luxury wooden yachts. They used exotic woods like teak and mahogany.
And the mahogany was not just for interior use. This boat was listed for $134,500. The listing indicated the hull material was "Double Planked Mahogany" and the deck material was Teak.
A Chicago Tribune article says the shipyard produced 200 luxury boats since it opened in 1926. But ShipBuildingHistory shows it producing boats since 1916. I reconciled these dates when I learned the company started in Milwaukee and then moved to Chicago. And it started with the name Great Lakes Boat Building.
I found someone's recollection that it closed in 1995. [YachtForums, Jeff Ondrla]
I first learned about this shipyard because they made minesweepers during WWII and the Navy installed machinery in the railroad swing bridges on the Chicago Sanitary and Ship Canal so that they could be opened to allow the minesweepers to get to the ocean via the Mississippi River. (The St. Lawrence Seaway would not open until 1959. The Navy also shipped other ships from Great Lakes shipyards down the Mississippi River such as Manitowoc Submarines.) I dug through a lot of luxury yacht photos before I figured out how to search for photos of mine sweepers. A collection of photos of their yachts is at the end of these notes.
The Navy wanted to build ships inland to avoid German U-boats. Sometimes they built a shipyard from scratch like the LST shipyard in Seneca, IL. In the case of Grebe, they just had to change the product line. I can't determine if the hull of the YMS class of minesweepers was steel or wood. I remember reading that Grebe was chosen to build wooden minesweepers because of their expertise and tooling to make wooden hulls. But a reference indicates that magnetic mines, and thus wooden hulled minesweepers, were not developed until the Korean War.
YMS Class Displacement is 270 British tonnes, length is 136', and the crew was 32 men. It had 2 shafts and 2000 hp. 494 ships of this class were built, which was, by far, the largest class.
YMS-84 was the first minesweeper built at Grebe. It was order 4-1-1941, the hull was laid down 6-2-1941, it was launched 3-3-1942, and it was commissioned 5-23-1942 [YMS-84]. I assume the period between launch and commissioning is when it made its trip between the North Branch of the Chicago River to the Gulf of Mexico. The last, and 25th, minesweeper built for the Navy by Grebe was YMS-421. It was ordered 7-21-1943 and commissioned 3-3-1945.
It struck me that minesweepers are one of the few military assets that continue to do their primary job after a war is won. A lot of mines had to be removed from the English Channel. During the war, they just cleared lanes across the channel.
During the Korean War, they built 3 more that were delivered in 1953-54. [ShipBuildingHistory] So the photo below would be of one of the three ships for the Korean War. During WWII, they also built 20 tugs, and in 1945 they delivered four water tankers that had a displacement of 440 tons and were 174' long. [ShipBuildingHistory]
Encyclopedia.ChicagoHistory U.S. Navy minesweeper under construction at Henry C. Grebe & Co. shipyard on the west bank of the North Branch of the Chicago River, June 1952.
Photographer: Louis F. Zimmerman Source: Chicago Historical Society (ICHi-37004)
[We can see they built them from the bow backwards. I don't see any cranes big enough to lift in pre-built modules like they developed for Liberty Ships.]
The above photo was driving me nuts. I already knew the power plant that we see on the left is west of the river. From the middle to the right background is obviously an amusement park. I have confirmed that it was Riverview. It was on the right side of the river. That means we are looking north. And the photo must have been taken with a really wide-angle lens. But I was curious how they were going to get the land-locked boat on the left into the river. In the following full resolution excerpt from a 1938 aerial, the big boats were built by the river. It looks like they built the smaller boats on transfer platforms. When done, I presume they moved the platform to the north/south "white strip" and then north to the boat ramp that lowered them into the water.
By 1952, the site looked completely different. The part to the west of the "white strip" may have been sold to others because that part changed between 1952 and 1962. The remaining site looked about the same in 1962, 1972 and 1988. It was cleared in 1999. But the part that changed between 1952 and 1962 looked the same in 1999.
A sampling of the Grebe yachts. Except for the Wanigan III at the end, I have sorted the photos into chronological order.
I don't know how permanent sales links are. So this Wanigan III link is an experiment: a 1949 76-foot yacht. The link accesses a lot of interior shots, including the engine room and crew bunks. I did copy a couple of photos in case the link breaks.
In case the link does break, I saved this image.
In case the link does break, I also saved this image.
Because any remaining old style signals are going to soon be replaced to implement Positive Train Control, some railfans are taking pictures of the signals instead of trains. B&O and Pennsy were the two railroads that had their own unique design of signal heads. I have already covered Pennsy's yellow light positional design . This is looking south along the former B&O branch line (Cincinnati, Hamilton & Dayton) in Deshler, OH . The tracks just on the other side of the depot is the former B&O mainline to Chicago. Both of these routes are now CSX. 20151101 5338,cropped I cropped the above picture to make it a little easier to see that the horizontal red lights really are lit up. Also, you can see in the lower left corner that the signal head for southbound traffic on the southeast quadrant has a stop aspect. I stepped to the side for the closeup because I was trying to reduce the effect of the sun that was still rather high in the sky. What I inadvertently did was dem...
( Bridge Hunter , Historic Bridges , HAER , Satellite ) P&LE = Pittsburgh & Lake Erie Railroad Photo from HAER PA,4-BEAV,1--1 from pa3716 One of 26 images posted by Mike Brady [Many of the images show the stresses calculated for each member of the truss.] Pictures are of the original Stress sheet of the P&LE cantilever bridge at Monaca - Beaver PA . Appears to be drawn on vellum type paper using a ink well pen. All of the math about the bridge is here. Live load,dead load, impact load and wind load Date is Jan. 31, 1908. Bought this on eBay around 20 years ago. Was unaware at the time of purchase of what I was getting. Wow, when I actually received it. Total calculated design load on one of the main bearings is 11,994.000 or 12 million pounds or ( 6 thousand tons). One of 26 images posted by Mike Brady Photo taken by Bob Harris in May 2012 from Bridge Hunter ( new window ) Mark Arnold posted five photos with the comment: " CSX's Ohio River cross...
( 3D Satellite ) I can't believe I drove right past this bridge when I went to the Hollywood Casino to get photos of Sam M. Fleming 's tow. Sydney Lane posted three photos with the comment: South of Joliet, Illinois just off Rt6 at the Johns Manville plant is this turn bridge that crosses the historic and now abandoned I & M canal. Though functional in the era of mule towed barges, it sets welded in place. It is still used today as an industrial spur line. It was Elgin Joliet and Eastern in my memory but I think it may be Canadian Northern now. The historic Illinois and Michigan canal linking Lake Michigan to the Mississippi River closed around 1930 when the current I&M opened to much larger barge traffic. Dennis DeBruler The industrial lead goes north to what was the Rock Island. This part of the Rock Island route is now controlled by CSX. 1 2 3 Sydney must have caught after some heavy rains. This satellite image is probably or more normal flow in the canal. 3D sat...
Comments
Post a Comment